8 Tips To Make Your Blog Behave
As I wrote in my previous post, it is very easy for your blog to take over your life. It is important that you fit your blog around your life rather than living your life around your blog. Here are some tips to help you do that.
1. Make a plan. Those who fail to plan, plan to fail. Make a plan and write it down. There are tons of blog planners online that you can download for free. If you don't like any of them then make your own. You will be surprised how much time this will save you later. You don't have to stick solely to the plan but it will help you stay on track and it will help you set clear goals and it will give you a place to oganize your blog. For those of you OCD planner types...do not let this step take over your life either...keep balance!
2. Keep a list. Keep an ongoing list of blog ideas in your blog planner. When one occurs to you then add it to the list. When you come across a blog that gives you an idea, write it down. It doesn't matter that it was already done before. Your voice and your perspective will make it different. Now you will always have blog topics to write about. If you use someone else's blog post as a reference then be sure to give them proper credit and a link.
3. Keep a calendar in that blog planner. Schedule your posts, schedule what they will be, schedule around your family and life. Remember to schedule some blogging breaks so you don't get burned out. You know when life gets really busy for your family. Schedule a break or schedule other writers to guest post during those times or when life is slower spend some time writing some posts ahead of time and schedule them for those times when life will be busy. Each Blogging platform gives you a way to schedule posts ahead of time. Use it.
4. When reading other blogs, use a blog reader such as Bloglovin or have them sent to your email. Either way that fits best into your life. I don't always get to read every single blog post, but I do try to read as much as I can when I can. I personally like mine to come into my email since Gmail sorts my email for me. This keeps all my blog posts to read in a tab together and makes it easy for me to flip over and read when I have some free time. At one time, I was trying to read blogs from too many sources such as twitter, facebook, etc and it tended to waste too much of my time along with getting me sidetracked too much. Now I can stay focused on reading and commenting with all my posts coming to the same place.
5. Use Social media Apps to help you post your blog posts. There are many great ones out there such as Hootsuite, IFTTT, Viral Tag, Buffer and many others. When you start researching social media apps, you will be amazed at the sheer number of them and all of them have their own charm. Some are free and some are not. Take into consideration how much time social media is requiring of you and make your decision based on the fact that sometimes your time is worth more than your money. You determine where and when that is.
6. Take Blog breaks. Sometimes when I take a break, it allows me the chance to back up from being in the thick of things and see where I need to fine tune and adjust things. It also allows me to see it differently. You can announce your break on your blog with an expected return date or you can schedule posts ahead of time or even invite guest bloggers to fill in.
9. Ask other bloggers how they balance their blog and their life. Most will share what techniques they have for making their blogs behave. If they won't (give them grace, maybe they are having issues in their life) , then move on to the next blogger who will. Take blog classes online. I have found that I have learned much from other blog classes and it was well worth my time and money invested.
8. Realize that your blog is not the end all, be all of your life. If it has become that, then step off, step back, and evaluate where things got off track. Don't become so focused on blogging that you lose all focus on life. Check in with your family from time to time. If you have lost focus, or got off track, they will know it.
Never miss a blog post when you subscribe by email