Some of my very favorite memories of being a child involve chasing fireflies. I think their sparkly lights make the night seem less scary and give it a magical quality that nothing else seems to quite match. Hot Summer nights just wouldn't be the same without them. Attracting them to your yard is possible and I would love to show you how to do it.
When we moved to our present house and garden, I decided that I wanted lots of fireflies if that was possible. I prayed for them first of all and I did a little research to discover what they like so that I could be certain to offer everything possible and then maybe, I would get the extreme privilege of hosting my very own sparkly firefly jewels of the night.
- Fireflies like water. They tend to live near ponds, streams, rivers, marshes, lakes or even shallow areas that hold water such as a bog. They prefer a place where there is standing water.
- They like to lay their eggs in rotting wood or forest litter near the water source.
- They prefer longer grass so they can hide from predators.
- High vantage places such as trees and bushes are desired
- It is also important that the fireflies have areas that are not lit by human methods. The lights seem to disrupt them and the more light present, the less the populations of fireflies.
- Too much human traffic also seems to disrupt them.
- No pesticides. I know this one is tough sometimes but it is possible.
Thankfully, I have been blessed with fireflies, although, I would love to have even more. How fun will it be to show them to my grandchildren? With that goal in mind, I will make an effort to be certain to offer them as many of these things on the above list as possible.
I have also studied the pictures of fireflies that I found, to make certain that I can recognize them in the daytime as well as nighttime. They are funny looking creatures but I will be certain to be careful of and with them so as not to accidentally harm any.
In my research, I discovered a really great website: Firefly. This website is packed full of photos, facts, and tips for attracting them to your yard. Be sure to check it out!
Read Some More:
How To Attract Ladybugs To Your Garden
How To Attract Dragonflies To Your Garden
How To Attract Butterflies To Your Garden