It is tempting to let Miss Kitty eat things that I am eating but foods that are perfectly OK for humans can actually be lethal for your cat.
Dangerous and Sometimes Fatal Foods:
- Onions, garlic or chives. A small amount can make them very ill.
- Vegetables, don't feed your cat vegetables of any kind or form.
- Caffeine. A small dose is usually fatal. There is no antidote.
- Chocolate. This includes dark, milk and white chocolate. They may want it but don't let them have it.
- Raw Bread Dough with live yeast is very dangerous for cats.
- Alcohol of any kind. The ethanol will kill them. Cats like to lick up antifreeze that drips on driveways. It has ethanol in it. Take them to the vet if they do because it can kill them.
- Moldy foods (this isn't good for anyone or any critter)
- Raw Eggs can be dangerous for cats. They will like it but it can give them salmonella or Ecoli just like humans and the egg whites are not good for cats.
- Tuna or other raw fish can be a treat but not regular food source. It doesn't give them enough nutrients. It can lead to malnutrition and even mercury poisoning.
- Grapes and raisins. The experts aren't sure why but they can cause kidney failure in cats and dogs.
- Anything sweetened with Xylitol like candy, gum, diet foods, etc. It can cause liver failure.
- Bones can splinter and do harm to your cat's digestive system.
- Liver can be a sometimes treat but too much can be toxic.
- Fat trimmings can cause digestive upset.
- Milk and Milk Products give not nutrition and can cause digestion problems. Diarrhea is no fun to clean up.
Be sure to check out my other posts from my Cat Whisperer Series on Fridays
Dr. Fosters & Smith