After reading several Blogging Books, blog posts, and being instructed in several blogging classes, along with blogging forums, I finally made the decision to migrate my Blogger blog to Wordpress.
I purchased a domain name several years ago, I purchased hosting, a premium Wordpress theme along with several other odd and ends to help the process along. I also paid for a class that would walk me through the process.
It is now nearly 1 month later and I have changed my mind! It was not a tech problem! It was not because of difficulty! It was mostly not the cost. It was simply the fact that in the two weeks that I had my sight up and going (partially), I was getting Jet Pack notices that my site was down constantly. I deleted most of the plugins except Jet Pack and it stopped going down. I began to add plugins back in 1 at a time (only 2 or 3) and down it went again.
I spent hours reading, studying, pinning, researching and working, I finally came to the conclusion:
- Why am I paying for the privilege of having the responsibility of figuring out why my site was down when, what I really wanted to do was blog?
- Why am I worrying about how many people it will take before my site maxes out on bandwidth? There are not limits on how much I use at Blogger.
- I can purchase more Picasa photo storage for a reasonable amount.
- Why am I listening to people who I don't really know and who do not know me (even if they do have prosperous blogs their way can not possibly be the ONLY way?
- What is so wrong with Blogger? It is a Google product and so far Google and Blogger have not let me down or filled my email box with notices that my site was down (again!)
- I have not had any problems with Google telling me What I can or can't publish on my blog. I am definitely not going to publish Adult content which would get one banned.
- If there are companies who won't work with me because I have a Blogger Blog then, maybe I don't want to work with them either.
- If someone skips over my blog because they believe that I am not committed to my blog or business (just because I use Blogger) then they might just miss something really good because I am working hard to make my blog the best it can be along with spending money on nifty items and classes to learn new skills for my blog
- I can change my Blogger blog to look any way I like. I can change my Blogspot address to my .com without hardly even a blip in my traffic. (See! It's already done!)
- I can remove "Powered by Blogger and the nav bar to keep the Wordpress Snobs happy if needed. (not hating just saying)
- I wonder if Google ranks Blogger blogs a little better? (I would if it were my product)
- Blogger works for me! I like Blogger! I'm NOT changing!!!
This is the place where I would usually apologize for my rant but honestly, I am not sorry, I think it needed to be said by someone and I guess that someone was me. Maybe other Blogger lovers can come out of the closet too.
It is OK, I give you permission to stay with Blogger if you want to or to migrate if you want to. We don't have to look at it as the "Haves" and/or "Have Nots" do we? It is OK to be a Blogger blog, a Typepad Blog, a Wordpress Blog, or any kind of blog we want to be. (*Hugs* for everybody!) Me? It is Google's Blogger Blog all the way baby!