I have had some questions asking me how to add a menu on my page using labels. In other words how do I get my menu buttons to bring up the posts that would be from a certain label such as tutorials or recipes? I recommend that you try this and any new thing out on your test blog first and when you have it down then try it on your actual blog.
- The first step is to open two tabs to the internet in your browser
- On one tab go to overview page and click on "layout" from list on left side of page.
- Click on "Add A Gadget" Choose "Pages" gadget. Click "Save"
- If you have already assigned labels to each post then this step can be skipped. On other tab in your browser go to overview page and click on "posts" from the list to the left side of your screen. You will see any labels in orange to the right of your blog post title in blue. If no labels then click "edit" on each post one at a time and then click on "labels" in the right side of your screen. Add labels that would describe the post divided by commas (ie. Recipes, Tutorials, etc) This is kind of like adding # hash marks on other media. After typing the labels you want then click "done". This needs to be done on every post or at least every one that you want to have brought up when you click on "Recipes, or Tutorials, etc) from your menu. Click "Update"
- If you already have a label gadget on your blog then you can also skip steps 5 thru 7, Otherwise, Go to other tab in your browser that should be on your layout page.
- Next scroll down to sidebar and click on "Add a gadget" in little blue letters located in the top little box at the top of your sidebar space.
- Click on the "Labels" gadget in the list of gadgets. Make your choices from the options offered then click "Save". This widget is needed for the next step. You can leave it on your blog and move it to one of your other gadget boxes if you like or after we are done then you can delete the gadget all together. You should be on layout view now for this browser tab.
- On other browser tab (where list of posts) click "View Blog" Scroll down to where your labels are in your sidebar. Click on the label that you want to create a page on such as "Blogger Tips" or "Recipes" Copy the address from your browser by clicking on it and highlighting then click "Control and C" at the same time on your keyboard.
- Now flip back to your other browser tab. This should be your layout page. Scroll down to box that has your pages gadget. Click "edit" in blue letters located to right side of this pages gadget box.
- Click "Add External Link" in blue letters at top of list
- Type name you want page to be such as Blogger Tips or Recipes. Paste the link you copied into the link box. Click "Save Link"
- Repeat steps 6 to 10 for every menu option that you want in your menu. A home page will be automatically created
- Click the box to the left of each page in your list that you want to show in your menu. The unchecked boxes will be hidden pages. I will tell you more about those at the end *.
- Now scroll down to List Order on that same page where you checked the boxes. Drag and drop your pages into order you desire. Scroll to bottom of this list and click "Save".
- This is where you can delete the labels gadget if you don't want it on your blog. Just scroll to where Labels gadget is. Click "Edit" then click remove.
- Click "Save Arrangement" Check on View this blog and make sure your new menu works. If everything is correct then Voila! You have done it!
* Hidden pages are useful for lots of things. That is where I design my "Freebie" page information and have my about me page, contact page, Policies, etc. These pages can be accessed by the public on your blog with a link and they can be accessed by you for design purposes from the overview page by clicking pages and then click on the page you want to design. Just think of the possibilities!
Hope this helps some of you out. Please feel free to ask any questions if you have them but please make sure to leave your email address so that I can contact you with the answer. There are many of you who are "No Reply" Bloggers. If you don't want your email address "out there" on the comments feel free to click contact me (yep it's hidden!) and I will reply by email directly to you!
Until Next Time